Wednesday 5 October 2011

Istanbul where East meets West

Hi from Istanbrul
Arrived in good sted after a marathon flight through Bahrain.

Istanbul my favorite city steeped in history, Sitting serenely on the the Bosphorous. Commandaiing access to both Europe and Asia.
The city is a live and well. My first vist was in 1973 with Pam and little Kellie. We were travelling in a VW pop top. I came again in 1977 with Tony for a week. This time I am here for 2 days.
Citt joins me tonight from Franfurt.
I recollect camping outside the Blue Mosque and eating at the pudding shop so called as they made the best rice puddings and the hippy viet dodger set were there. It was the best place to get information as lonely planet was not around and the war in Israel was on.
Enough nostalgia i am now just an old traveller passing time like the rest of the tourists mouth open and being shown only what is in the guide book.

BUT yesterday I took off on the ferry mainy to get away from the tourists *3 Cruise boats in) Took it out to the Asian side where the views of the city are astounding. Drank tea with the locals and then went along to the fish market for lunch. Had grilled mackeral with a salad, sitting in amongst the fish. Does not get any better.

Fish monger note: modern scales

The touts are smooth they all have a family member in Australia. Suppose if I was Danish they would have family in Copenhagen.


My Istanbul Fish Sandwich

Did the Blue mosque.


The interior arches of the georgeous Blue Mosque
Visited the pudding shop. Sat and wondered where  my life had gone.



THE pudding shop Istanbul.

38 years ago.
Do you ever do that?


No comments: